Wednesday, October 26, 2005

While getting ideas together for the next collage to work on...I 'm thinking of how much enjoyment old-fashioned authors have contributed to my reading pleasure over the years. I remember as a 10 year old, my Mum's copy of 'Girl of the Limberlost' and how I tried so hard to read it but my reading skills just weren't ready yet. Since that time I've read that book many times, and wept a tear or two over Elnora's brave struggles. What is astounding to me is that today we have authors ....(I'm thinking Christian authors here) that are just as talented a writer as Gene Stratton-Porter in thier own style. I used to read Grace Livingston Hill like crazy untill I almost could predict what the next page would say without reading it. We had a godly man in our church who had the character to stand up and give a testimony to the fact that he read Grace L.Hill as a teen-ager and credited those books with steering him in the right direction as a teen. What a blessing he was. Always sharing the gospel with the passing stranger and neighbor. He's gone on now, but just see how his life speaks yet. I wish I could be more like him. I just finished up the dishs, and have only 7 minutes before getting ready for church service. Hubby is taking a rest and here I am reminiscing about the love of good books. I wish I had time to get around to everybody's blog today, but I don't...hope to visit you tomorrow and don't you know, I just love to! Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Kali said...

Just wanted to pop in quickly and say HI! I haven't been able to spend much time on the computer lately, but do enjoy visiting when I can...even though I don't always leave a message...Your blog is such a pleasure!

Peggy said...

I have my mothers Grace Livingston Hill books and her Emily Loring. She read them over and over. She kept a book by her bed, by her chair, and in her purse. I have the books she was reading with the bookmarks still in them. I got my love of reading from her! Thanks for giving me such a nice memory Ms. Maggie, hugs

Saija said...

mmm, memories ... GLH was a trial blazer of sorts, wasn't she ... there wasn't that much good Christian fiction out there ... as you said, now there is so much to choose from!

i went to our local library today and picked up 2 Christian authors ... i hope to get to read them soon ... i have so many books that i own that need reading ... :o) ... that is a nice pickle to be in - have more good books than time!

blessings to you, i am so glad that you blogged into my life!

Maggie Ann said...

Kali, thanks for coming by. It helps me to come over to read your blog too, which I love to do!
Peggy, just to know your Mom loved G.L.Hill books too, warms my heart like you wouldn't believe. It brings back something almost tangible to my mind..my Mum always had books with her or near her. hugs to you too!
Saija, I love those kinds of 'pickles' too. More good books than time. A friend at church is going to start reading the Mitford series this week and I'm kind of excited for her. I wondored what the book you just read was about. Care to give me a short intro if you see this? I'm glad you blogged into my life too, no kidding!