Friday, August 12, 2005

This is companion to the picture I posted yesterday. I've got almost a complete set of this author and love the illustrations. When I was in high school I thought I might get to go to Art school in the big city an hour away. I loved art class. I wasn't the most talented in the class but had enough to get by and enjoyed art. But.....My father was convinced that I would be in danger because 'beatnik' types flocked to art school. So, I didn't go off to the Art Institute but have always had an appreciation for art and artists illustrations in books. To me as I was growing up the illustrations helped to bring life to the story. My lands, the first books I remember trying to read were my Mom's Gene Stratton Porter's 'Girl of the Limberlost'. At 10 or ll years old, I couldn't make much of the story out. Where, I say, were the Bobbsey Twin books my Mother? Next thing I really remember was the Margaret Sutton 'Judy Bolton' stories, oh yes and then all those good 'Scholastic' books. The kind you could order at school for cheap. And how about Trixie Beldon and Ramona....I still read the Ramona books. Ahh, reading is still good. In fact, better than ever..... Life is going by quickly but the best is yet to come. Without that blessed hope, my soul would be in shadows deep. My salvation is my song of joy....."Whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." Revelation 22:17b Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

melissa said...

Those old-fashioned illustrators are always a treat. Love the clothes they wear and the soft colors....Bessie Pease Guttman is another sweet one....and Jessie Willcox Smith.

Miss Robyn said...

I still read all my childhood favourites.... nothing wrong with that * I find it very comforting !
as for the art lessons ~ you can still do it !!! never too late to learn something that you are interested in. I would love to do art classes.. I want to paint something for my wall. At the moment I am into collage..its fun

Saija said...

i loved trixie beldon, judy bolton and the bobbsey twins ... of course there was nancy drew as well ... and i remember reading this series of barnyard stories with a talking pig (tho' the name of it, escapes me now) ... such good memories of my childhood companions ... my books ... :o)