Monday, May 24, 2004

My Salvation Testimony

When I was about 32 years old, we had evangelistic meetings at our fundamental Bible church. I was there for every meeting, telling myself what a good person I was and how God would never send me to Hell. After all, I had never committed any crimes and I was a church worker and believed in everything the Bible taught. One night at alter call I went forward, and the speaker asked me if I died tonight would I be sure I would go to heaven. I said I hoped I would, and he assured me that heaven was a "know so" place and that I was to be sure to come for his Sunday morning message and oh yes, be sure to sit in the front. Well, that was on a Mother's Day and I will never forget it. He preached a message on "Hell will be filled with "good" people". People like myself, filled with self righteousness. Good people in that sense of the word, but lost people,under the curse of sin. As I sat there and tried to review my own goodness to God, I came quickly to the uneasy truth that I had never really realized within myself and to my maker that I was a hell deserving sinner that needed to be redeemed by the blood of Christ the savior. All who come to him repenting and asking forgiveness will be given the gift of eternal life. Only God was sinless, not me, no, not me. I remember the song sung as a special. It was "There's room at the cross for you" "though millions have come, there's still room for one...." I felt like I had the weight of the world on my heart, and halfway through the message, I surrendered to Jesus and when the invitation was given, I went forward to confess that I needed to be saved. I prayed a sinners prayer for forgiveness, just me talking to God, asking him to forgive me and save me. And He did. Oh glory, that was a wonderful day in my life. He sealed my future for eternity. Psalm 91:2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. Trusting you know Christ Jesus as personal Saviour also, and if not that you will open your heart to him as I did, for He loves you so. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life".

No comments: