Monday, August 13, 2012

 We have  had the most wonderful  yard sales this year.  I bought this gorgeous lace cloth from a lady who bought it in Italy.  She charged me only $7.00  It was so pretty on a 30" round table in our guest room....but I longed to use it where I could see it often...so here it is on a square table for the time being, and I'm loving it.


This English bone china teacup was from another summer sale...and I believe it was $2. or $3.00.  Can't remember for sure.  And I've had the little teapot....coffee pot? for ages, since way back when we had only been married a few years.

We spent the evening playing horseshoes and croquet, then finished up with a 300 piece puzzle which went together really quickly.  I love to make time for things that are fun.  Because,  the housework is never really all done...its peat and repeat of course.  I think, as a person ages, she appreciates the little things so much more.  Rather like the contentment that Gladys Tabor puts forth in her writings...or Miss Read.

Reading is contentment too...'The house was low and white and rambling with lemon-colored blinds and a green moss roof. There were frills of daffodils all down the garden walks and around the edges of the white picket fence......but the story began away back the summer before..'

 Taken from 'April Gold' by Grace Liviingston Hill.   An old fashioned story, which I find so easy to slip into and enjoy....and be thankful for.  One that points me to the Lord and values that build character.  I'm thinking about things I enjoy. Old and new....

5 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Speaking of values that build character - a rare find these days! Tonight I was going to see if there was something interesting to watch on TV, but of the four channels we get, all four were total trash. When we do watch something on the box, it's usually because we put a DVD mystery in.

Beautiful yellow rose china! Love it! Thanks for stopping in at Cranberry Morning and the compliment on my Peaches & Almonds homemade soap. ♥♥

Anonymous said...

Beautiful treasures from the yard sale. It's fun to surround yourself with lovely items to enjoy!

Dolly said...

Oh, I don't think I've read that one yet ! So glad that you put me onto Ms Hill's works....totally uplifting !

I like your pretty things.....mostly junk around here at the sales.

Everything Changes said...

You are the garage sale or estate sale queen, I am thinking. :-) You find such cool stuff.

A Colorful World said...

I am so amazed at what you can find at yard sales! Whenever I get an urge to stop at one most of what I see is junk! Maybe I'm not going to the right neighborhoods! I love making such wonderful old finds! You have really found some treasures! And, yes, I adore getting lost in a good book as well. It's very comforting. Glad you have been having a good summer and now we can look toward the blessings of fall...