Saturday, October 13, 2007



This is the batch of wool roving I did get dyed. I am totally inexperienced at this and it was very tiring. You lay your wool out on long pieces of plastic wrap, and wearing gloves and using foam brushes....paint the dye on in patterns or randomly. Then you fold it up in the plastic wrap...roll it and put it in a steamer for 20 minutes. Then it gets laid out on the grass to cool down ,then into a cold water bath for 2 rinses. The color really washes out 1st rinse but the 2nd rinse the water is almost clear. I finally liked the results of the last batch...the one with the yellow in it (which was really orange dye). I started out using Silver Birch...a grey blue color of dye. I came home with a lot of wet wool. But, it made for a great learning experience, and it was nice to be getting to know some of the ladies a little bit better in the guild.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! That looks like LOTS of work! Hope you had fun anyway! In the first picture, the purple mohair looks like it has a face. I thought it was a Halloween monster at first. LOL! Do you see the face?

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Everything about this seems so enjoyable! I love hearing about it, its very interesting!
Blessings to You-Claudia O