Saturday, January 14, 2006

Welcome to our hall library. It holds about one third or so of our book collection. I especially appreciate my library during the winter...(I'm a summer driver only). These books are old friends...very old and very loved. I've always loved this poem, don't you? I don't know the title, but it was written by Emily Dickinson. I can't help wondoring what she was reading at the time when she wrote this magical truth about reading.

He ate and drank the precious Words --
His Spirit grew robust --
He knew no more that he was poor,
Nor that his frame was Dust --

He danced along the dingy Days
And this Bequest of Wings
Was but a Book -- What Liberty
A loosened spirit brings --


 Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Marie said...

Hi! Of course I read it - I visit you every day!

My web site is www.thingswesaid.blogspot.com

Hope that helps,

Monika

Amy said...

what a gorgeous part of your house, I must get my Dh to build us a decent bookshelf I have to many books sitting in my room that I need somewhere to put them. Are you a fellow bookworm Maggie?