Friday, February 25, 2005

Scripture

What a blessing to have our own copies of the Bible, God's word. One of the first verses that "stuck" in my mind was this one..."faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God", wow, I had to stop and look up the reference for that and couldn't find it right away, success, it is found in Romans l0:17. Another verse that just "stuck" was this one, Proverbs 30:5 "Every word of God is pure; he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him." Whats interesting is that these are the first two verses of scripture that I can remember clearly from the days before I was saved, and I somehow just knew that they were true and they stuck by me all the way down through the years......Anyway, I wanted to share a really helpful truth our Pastor brought out Wednesday night at prayer meeting. Its about yielding to temptation of one sort or another. Being tempted is not a sin, but yielding to it is. When Satan brings a thought to our mind, gossip or something else, immediately respond to the Holy Spirit. I Corinthians 10:2 "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.".............Yielding to God is the way to escape temptation, immediately responding to the Holy Spirit. I know this is true, yet how often, I paddle my own canoe and in circles to boot. This is one thankful woman here, to have a copy of God's word for my very own and a faithful Pastor who encourages and exhorts this sinner saved by grace. I need to spend more time at Jesus feet, learning and resting in Him.

1 comment:

Saija said...

that was an encouragine post! thank you for sharing Maggie Ann ...

where i am with my faith walk, i find that it's not the BIG sins that trip me up, but the everyday garden variety that go about eroding the strength of my faith ... but Praise God, He can restore us back to fellowship!

blessings on your Sunday!